High School & Beyond
High School & Beyond
The Careers Service offers paid appointments for prospective university students. Our clients are usually Grade 11 and 12 learners who are considering further study, and any potential university applicant who has been out of school for a few years. (Learners do not have to be considering UCT as a first choice.)
- an hour long one-to-one appointment with a careers advisor
- a pre-appointment questionnaire
- feedback to parents/guardians at the end of the appointment
The advisor will support the learner in the first steps of study choice and career exploration using the information from the pre-interview questionnaire as a starting point for discussion. The questionnaire serves as a tool to focus the learner and to help the advisor establish where the individual is in terms of the career development process.
The discussion is learner-centred and holistic, and will explore:
- the learner’s level of self-awareness, including interests, values and aptitudes
- the learner’s life experience, including levels of career knowledge and awareness of opportunities
- decision-making processes
- possible tertiary study options, including entrance requirements
- the relationship between qualifications and careers
The advisor will promote the development of career management skills and encourage the learner to systematically explore options, rather than prescribe a career or field of study for the learner.
We encourage learners to actively manage and take responsibility for their study and career choices. The success of this process depends on a number of factors including individual maturity, motivation, ambition, abilities and the degree of willingness to expend effort and assume ownership from the outset.
The candidate and the advisor will decide together on a plan of action for the next steps. Towards the close of the interview, parents or guardians will be invited to join the meeting for a brief discussion and to address any concerns they may have.
Please note that we do not provide a written report of the consultation.